Amai taken from the final track, comes from the Shona language, spoken widely in Zimbabwe. Amai means "mother" and "woman". This theme is reflected in many of our selections, which represent a wide variety of languages, geographical locations, and historical periods. You will hear love songs to women, womens songs of lost love, personifications of natural phenomnea as women, mothers who tire of housework, children and mothers mourning the loss of one another, and prayers to the Mother Creatrix.
Every track on this recording is a live performance because we wanted to offer you an experience as close as possible to an actual concert. Even though we can clean up some of our flaws in studio sessions, we miss the inspiration we get from our audience, the community that has supported us with such love and to whom we return love through our singing. The difference in our music when our community is around us is always audible.
Amai is the recipient of two GLAMA (Gay and Lesbian Music Awards) awards. Shenandoah, Winner for Best Choral Performance and Draum om Nedsnodde Bruer, Kristina Boerger, Amasong's founding director, brought home the award for Best Contemporary Classical Composer.
Click here to listen to music samples.
Complete List of Tracks
- Blood and Gold (3:58)
- Women of Ireland (3:32)
- Lauluja merelta: Ala tuule tytto tuuli (2:32)
- Lauluja merelta: Sympaatti (1:22)
- Lauluja merelta: En mina merytta kiita (1:49)
- Lauluja merelta: Hyvasti,kultaseni (2:45)
- Draum om Nedsnodde Bruer (5:03)
- Orientis Partibus (2:27)
- There is no Rose (4:49)
- The Stove (1:33)
- Four Russian Peasant Songs I: U spassa v'Chigisach (0:38)
- Four Russian Peasant Songs II: Ovese~n (0:33)
- Four Russian Peasant Songs III: Shchuka (0.:50)
- Four Russian Peasant Songs IV: Uzh kak vwishla (1:15)
- On Suuri Sun Rantas Autius (2:56)
- Fisher Lid (3:00)
- Jai Fait Mon Idee/La Danse de Mardi Gras (2:51)
- We Will Walk With Mother and Weep (2:53)
- Cradle Me (4:45)
- All is Well (3:20)
- Shenandoah (5:19)
- Keep Your Lamps (5:08)
- Job, Job (3:13)
- Amai (4:37)
Total Time 71:08